counter

Monday 6 January 2020

Parkie dementia - it is all in the statistics.

I know, I know, I have been there and done that! It happens late at night when you cannot get back to sleep.  You let your mind plot against you.  It tends to do that as the dopamine relentlessly disappears from your brain.  It goes like this:

Oh my God!   Will my PD turn into  Alzheimer's? Afterall, we share similar symptoms? Or will I be struck down by PD related dementia???

First of all, PD is not Alzheimer's.

For example, a man with PD, loses his key and he asks his wife, " I can't find my keys. I forget where I put them.  I will keep looking."

A man with Alzheimer's doesn't lose his keys.  He can't.... because he can't remember what a "key" is.

What is in our future?  In the final stages of PD, 20 - 25% of PLWP develop dementia severe enough to interfere with their day-to-day life, about 10 - 15% higher than most people who live without PD.

I conclude:

Most PLWP will not develop dementia......hurray???????

No comments:

Post a Comment