counter

Thursday 9 February 2012

Good News - Bad News.

Parkin is a gene that has a role in protecting dopamine producing cells. When it mutates, it can no longer protect those cells and dopamine levels drop off producing a form of PD. This is a genetic form of PD and accounts for less than 10% of the cases. It is associated with early onset of PD.

Scientists have made a breakthrough that may help all victims of the disease.

Their findings reveal some potential new drug targets for Parkinson's and a new platform to screen treatments that might mimic the protective functions of parkin, the gene they investigated. This could lead to the dopamine producing cells being protected and thus slow down the progression of the "disease".

I am getting used to "hallucinations" or "very realistic dreams". I can't decide which is at fault. The latest came while I was watching TV. A man appeared beside me, dressed all in blue, walked across the room and melded with the TV, appearing for a moment on the screen before the program I was watching returned. Did I doze off? It is certainly possible and I might have been in some twilight zone, not quite conscious but enough so to make me doubt I was sleeping. I am just not sure.

Reality is an hallucination for me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment