counter

Wednesday 22 February 2012

They wept to see such quantities of sand. If only this were cleared away.......

OK. Here we are in South Beach, Florida, about a mile from the sun. On the day of our arrival it was a record breaking 88F (31C). Unfortunately, a cold front came through that night and by 1PM the next day, the temperature had only reached 75F (24C). The rest of this week promises temperature in the low 80's.

I decided to experiment.

THEORY - PD is affected by temperature.

APPARATUS - one long, sandy beach, tropical temperatures, bathing suit and the usual running gear.

METHOD - Cut down the drugs. Take no drugs on my morning run on the beach when the temperature was at least 70F.

OBSERVATION - The result was no tremor whatsoever, a good quick gait, right arm swing normal. No sign of PD. Contrast that with my cold weather drug free morning walks. The tremor starts immediately and lasts a good half mile to a mile and then stops but I have to keep my mind on the stoppage or it will let loose.

Conclusion - Miami heat has a positive effect on my PD. Maybe we should spend winters here and not just 3 weeks.

PREDICTION - Would miss the children and grandchildren too much. We are doomed to winter.

By the way, as usual, I managed quite a sunburn the first day. Maybe that is one of the variables that positively affects the tremor. That may be true, but it is more likely that it will also cause skin cancer, just ask my dermatologist. However, I lack common sense and a serious sunburn has never stopped me in the past on the theory that if you fish for 5 hours and only catch a sunburn, you are still better off than the worm.

Furthermore, it may be a long hot run in the sun will cool one's PD!

No comments:

Post a Comment