counter

Monday 21 May 2012

" Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." Steven Wright

James Joyce once said, "Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance". Well, if that is true, I may get back to reading Shakespeare one day (I last read him when we were forced fed his plays in high school.) You see, my balance just ain't what it used to be. I am not falling or anything like that, not yet. I just feel a little more unstable from time to time; but, it is possible I may be taking my first steps toward becoming an aficionado of the Bard. This weekend was one of those times.

I spent the Victoria day weekend at the cabin with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and my 11 month old granddaughter. Five of us, plus 2 big dogs, in a cottage that can be no more than 700 square feet. The two dogs and scattered baby toys created an obstacle course though which I meandered amazingly well, but I also felt unsteady on my feet, like I had had a drink or two.

I earlier called it "wobbly legs" and I was certain I was walking oddly. I asked my wife if she noticed that my walk was a little odd. She said "not at all". Do I seem unsteady? "Not that I noticed."

What is it then?

I may have addressed this issue earlier, but it feels exactly like it did when we crossed the ocean on an ocean liner. For the first couple of days, you have wobbly legs and kind of bounce from wall to wall in the corridors. Then you get your "sea legs" as you adjust to the movement of the ship, and can navigate quite well, albeit rather stiffly.

The only thing I can conclude is that the feeling that I have of wobbly legs, versus the fact that my walk looks normal, is that I am having internal tremors in my legs. The feeling will pass, but as I watch my granddaughter, who only learned to walk about a month ago, I can't escape the feeling that someday my walk will resemble hers.

Some famous person was quoted as saying that he/she learned to walk as a baby and hadn't had a lesson since. Me too, but the future is a little iffy.

By the way, in spite of my small difficulties, I really enjoyed the weekend. I can't get enough of my grandchildren!

No comments:

Post a Comment