counter

Friday 11 May 2012

A Trifecta of Treats

I went to the neurologist yesterday and told him my new big 3 symptoms, (1)dry eyes, (2) cold, painful hands and feet and (3)the incident where I lost control of my equilibrium. He sympathized but said they were all symptoms of PD and there was not much he could do for me. He was surprised at the loss of control and added that he was quite sure it was an isolated incident and I should get out and "push" myself when I next go on my walk and I would see that another such incident was unlikely.

That is exactly what I did this morning. I took a faster-than-usual walk over 3 miles with no problems at all. Of the neurologists I go to, this is the one I trust the most. If he says it is an isolated incident, then it is; so, I will continue my morning walk.

He also assured me of my biggest concern. I do not have multiple system atrophy. When I got home, I googled the condition, just to make sure, and found it "is a rare condition that causes symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease. However, patients with MSA have more widespread damage to the part of the nervous system that controls important functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, and sweating."

Trust, but verify.

I sweat like a pig when I run. My blood pressure is good and my heart is in great shape, so I guess he is right. Thank God! I will just keep on exercising. This seems like the best way to keep PD at bay.

Exercising is a form of flagellation but, because I have a touch of OCD, I have to keep doing it, as I have done over the past 40 years, hating every step; but now, knowing it is necessary, I will have to learn to love it.

Nope, can't see that happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment