counter

Monday 26 November 2012

May you have warm words on a cold morning

Up at 5AM, short workout with dumbbells, followed by 2.5 mile walk. The problem is, today the cold finally came, -21C (6 below F) but if you dress properly, a cold, dark morning provides an atmosphere that can permit a person like me to wallow in a bad mood.

And wallow I did. I took 2 amantadine less than 2 hours apart, just before going to bed last night. The result? I was wide awake. I tried falling asleep to the radio but no luck. I tried watching "Vegas" on the PVR but even that couldn't make be tired. I took a second Zopoclone without success. Finally, around 2AM, I dropped off, only to awaken at 4:30AM. But, I am happy to say I got in my exercise and at the end, my bad mood slowly dissapated into surliness.

It is trite to say that exercise is good for everybody, but for PWP, it is essential. Research has shown that physical exercise may protect dopamine cells.

Exercise causes the release of neurotrophic factors which help the brain resist degeneration.

Studies concentrating on exercise and Parkinson's have shown that exercise improves physical functions, strength, balance and walking speed/stride along with mental abilities.

The best exercise is aerobic - walking, running, swimming, etc. I have added simple weight training, about 15 minutes every second day. I will not become another Charles Atlas, but I might keep my body from falling apart.

Of course there is that other reason for exercising. I saw it on a shirt at the swimming pool....."I don't care about being big and strong, I just want to look good naked".

Seems like a good enough reason to me. .

No comments:

Post a Comment