counter

Thursday 18 April 2013

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

I have been a good boy/man for most of my life (IMHO). Sure, my halo fell down around my neck once or twice (maybe more) but all in all, I am a decent person. So, why do I have the bad luck of having been "shat" upon by the gods who saw fit to declare a war between my brain and the rest of my body? That doesn't happen to the good guys.

On the other hand, I know bad guys who have not been stricken with any form of a terrible disease, or even a manageable problem like PD. So, what's up with that? Why is it only the good die young? And around me, they are dropping like flies. People my age are fading out, but not from parkinson's. Parkinson's is just around to annoy me and make my life harder.

PWP in England are disgusted with an article that appeared in The Times of London. Here is an excerpt from that article:

"It is the most devastating illness and there is no cure. Parkinson's disease crushes its victims by denying them control over movement and speech and a premature death is unavoidable"

I would have been quite upset if that had been the first thing I read upon diagnosis. Apparently the writer knows nothing about PD. The miracle drugs that have been developed and that are being developed, control the loss of movement and speech as well as the myriad other symptoms. Nobody ever died from parkinson's, they die with parkinson's.

Anyway, I got a little off track there. The question I ask myself is, Since I am one of the good guys, I shouldn't have PD, right?"

I answer myself with, "What makes you so special that any supernatural being would lend you a helping hand?"

Next, I have to ask "Why me? Why anybody?" So far I have not received an answer. It's all about the God paradox :

Is God willing to prevent parkinson's, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh parkinson's?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

Whatever chances I have of getting help from god(s) does not appear to be imminent, so I might just as well go and watch a movie.

Here endith the lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment