counter

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Death is only a horizon, the limit of our sight.

OK, from now on, I vow never to whine about having PD. An old friend of mine, from my youth, died today, from cancer which was only diagnosed less than 8 months ago. From what he told me about his symptoms, it could not have been a comfortable death. He was someone who could make you laugh. Even when death was hanging over his shoulder, that humor was still present in his last phone call to me. I am impressed by his willingness to laugh at death so you will excuse me if I shed a quick tear for him. It has become necessary.

Ian Fleming said, "You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face." Interesting. Since I can't explain a life, I am unable to explain death. I understand what Fleming was saying that you come alive when confronted by death, but I think death itself will be the great adventure. I hope I will find my second life when I die; nevertheless, I am not interested in joining my friend just yet, but it is comforting to think he may find the journey satisfying.

All this talk of death makes me think of the poem "Requiem" by Steveson. He knew how to die.

Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will

This be the verse you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill


I will end this sermon with a quote from Woody Allen that, at this moment anyway, inspires me, "It's not that I am afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

No comments:

Post a Comment