counter

Thursday 2 May 2013

Aging is Regrettable

I think it was De Gaulle who said, "Old age is a shipwreck". He probably said it in french, but in either language, it is the truth. My body is falling apart. It all started when I "retired" in 2001 (before my latest profession started in earnest). In quick succession I suffered from (1) fibromyalgia (hmm - doctor, don't you mean "I have no idea why you have symmetrical pain?"), (2) head pain - not ache - real pain - for about 7 weeks while I was awake (I would sleep on a bag of frozen peas for relief) (3) shin and heal pain which persists to this day (and no doctor, it is not 'shin splints') (4) spinal stenosis (for those who haven't suffered from this condition, the pain is exquisitely, excrutiatingly, debilitating) (5) detached retina and the resultant floater side effect (like living in a bowl of amoebae, or is it amoebas?) (6) parkinson's (you know how I feel about that!)and now, taaadaaa (7)I am being tested for diabetes (really!!!!).

Now, don't get me wrong; I know there are other people far worse off than I; but, who cares! This is all about me. Indulge me.

“To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others.” (Camus)

No comments:

Post a Comment