counter

Friday 1 November 2013

I see dead people - a critique of a sense of self

Well, I don't really see dead people, but I do see strange people out of the corner of my right eye when I am concentrating, most often in the morning. I haven't had any hallucinations in quite some time but they have come back. The latest ones this past week include a 7ft man standing off to my right, putting on his coat, a little girl dealing cards (again off to my right) and this morning, on my walk, I saw some guy riding a donkey (or it might have been a miniature camel) down the middle of the street.. Just a trick of the dark, I assured myself, but it kept on coming until I was about 20 feet away, when it disappeared. Am I dreaming? Are my eyes playing tricks? Do I have a hyper-active imagination? Are they hallucinations? Or maybe I have mad cow disease.

I am no medico. I am just a normal guy and I have no idea what causes me to see things. They don't bother me because I know they are not real and I never get lonely.

I am definitely not crazy. I think it is just another of PD's little gifts, either alone or with the help of my medications. And don't label me as being delusional, (defined as a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary) because I am not. Or maybe that certainty is in itself delusional. Maybe I am delusional, but it leads me to a higher calling. That great American humorist, Ambrose Bierce, once commented that any man who could analyze his own delusions was a philosopher.

Yes, that is what I am, a PWD (a philosopher with delusions). I have to be; PWP have to be philosophical and perhaps delusional to maintain a strong sense of their futures. To me, my hallucinations are the shadows in Plato's cave, just a part of my non-reality.

This little catharsis has led me to a conclusion----I have an infinite capacity for self delusion---- ----I am, without a Platonicall doubt, a delusional philosopher.

No comments:

Post a Comment