counter

Thursday 28 November 2013

The wheels on the bus go round and round....

There are times I feel like a sap in a malicious GROUNDHOG DAY movie. As I have said in earlier posts, my symptoms come and go. Let's see. What now?
  • Swallowing - I am having a slight problem swallowing, just as I had a couple of years ago.
  • Tremor - although omnipresent, there are calm times and jiggy times. This is one of the jiggy times. Much of the tremor is not openly apparent, unless one has X-ray vision and can see into my right arm where the trembling muscles are having a wonderful time at my expense.
  • Falls - I still bear a large, unattractive scar from my last fall so you'd think that would serve as a reminder to me to pick up my feet when walking. No such luck. I stubbed my toe and went head-over-heels. Fortunately, there was sufficient new snow on the ground to soften the blow and the thick gloves and other winter gear I was wearing protected me. No harm done. Except to my ego.
  • Night Twitching - this had dissipated over the past few weeks but it has returned with a fury. All I need do is close my eyes and both legs and arms and sometimes my neck will "twitch". It doesn't last long and is no great bother. It is as if the muscles had stored up excess energy and were enjoying themselves by releasing bulks of that energy at varying times in various body parts.

There are 3 symptoms that never change

  • Exhaustion - I wake up tired and I remain tired all day until the evening when it is time to sleep and I can't. I now get by on 5 hours sleep and I need more.
  • Slowness - PD slows you down. Yesterday, downtown, I thought I was moving at a reasonable pace but I was passed by a couple of drunks and two elderly gentleman, one of whom was using a cane!
  • Finally, there is my voice, or lack thereof. I should have practised my voice lessons. The course I took from the speech therapist was excellent and helped alot. Unfortunately it is up to the victim to practise and I did not. Now I get tired of hearing "Whatzat?" "Pardon me" and the humiliating "Will you speak up a bit, I can't hear a word you are speaking"

Sadly (maybe gladly) I daily cultivate a quiet serenity at a snail's pace while catching the occasional afternoon cat nap or a British TV series on Netflix (see below) . There is something eerily magical about solitude.

The Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment