counter

Monday 25 January 2016

On riddles and Wonderland

The answer to the problem "what do you get when you cross....." is exactly the same as one of the most famous literary passages of all time. It is, of course, posed to Alice by the Mad Hatter at the equally famous tea party

“Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”
“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter”

I borrowed the riddle from David Foster Wallace with a few minor changes to reflect my situation.

“Mario, what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an unwilling agnostic and a dyslexic?"
"I give."
"You get someone who stays up all night torturing himself mentally over the question of whether or not there's a dog.”

― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

I will bet we have all been there, done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment