counter

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Placebos and the Big Brag Theory

I started practising my voice therapy, occasionally. I sound like Felix Unger. If you remember "The Odd Couple" with Tony Randall playing Felix, you will know that special sound. It will only get worse when I begin anew the therapy with the therapist. I plan to devote myself to correcting my voice.

They cancelled the research project in which I was one of many guinea pigs. They were looking for a connection between caffeine and the rate of progress of PD. After 1.5 years, they concluded there was no difference between the control and placebo groups. I was certain I was in the control group because I didn't seem to get any worse over the year and a half. Surprise, surprise. It turns out I was in the placebo group. I should have known because caffeine has a negative effect on me and I wasn't getting a hit from the pills I was taking,

Was I a victim of the placebo effect or do I suffer from a lack of scepticism? I think a placebo, prescribed by a serious, caring physician, to an accepting patient, can accomplish as much as real meds. The placebo is no longer a placebo if the patient believes in its efficacy, it becomes a remedy and can lead to a cure (or a slowing of progress in PD).

That is what I believe. I was convinced PD was slowing down. If they had never told me I was on the placebo, the rate of my PD might have slowed considerably.

But then I also believe the universe has always existed and will always exist. No beginning and no end. Just change. I admit I might be wrong on that count. But that is an entry for another day.

2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of the placebo effect too. Haven't seen you comment too much on pd meds. You didn't start with simemet but it seems to be working for you. Any thoughts to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share 2 of my 3 neurologists (only see one now) that a cocktail of drugs is best so I take amantadine, mirapex and sinemet and it works for me .... so far.

      Delete