counter

Saturday 9 April 2016

The Dog Days of Winter

It is cold here. -8C with a north wind. That's not how it should be in mid-April, but winter is making a comeback for the next few days. That didn't stop me from walking outside, 2 freezing miles, using only one pole for balance. You see, I am banned from the treadmill, stationary bike or any strenuous exercise for a month.

Why is that? I heard someone in the audience say. It is because my dermatologist mandated it. I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my back and exercise could cause the stitches to break, but, walking is OK, "just don't swing your left arm with any effort."

The problem is that along with PD, I have a touch of OCD. I must exercise or lose my sanity. I like being sane so I will no doubt walk once or twice a day and hope that the lack of intensity will be just as beneficial in slowing PD as my exercise regime has been over the past 5 years.

The good thing about slow walking is... I get lost in my mind and my thoughts go anywhere and everywhere. For example, since our last dog died almost 20 years ago, I have sworn never to own another. Their deaths are too traumatic for me. Today, after thinking about it on my walk, I suggested to my wife that we get a samoyed puppy. My reason being that it would be good company as I decline into PD hell. Fortunately, good sense intervened and presently, at least, we have no desire to get another pet.

Thinking about dogs made me remember a haiku limerick I wrote a long time ago. I present it here for your scrutiny. You'll forgive my lack of humility if I say it is sensational and still makes me smile. It is titled "The Dog"

A man has a dog that's a stray
It moves in a peculiar way
The dog has no legs
But still the dog begs
To go for a drag everyday.

To change the subject, I have to report that all is not sunny in my life. I noticed today a distinct slurring when I speak. The words seemed to drift together, joined by the "S" sound and I could not control it.

Just one of those things?

No doubt one of those strange coincidences?

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Nope.

An hour ago, I read an article from the MJF Foundation about Lesser known symptoms of Parkinson's and there it was, at number 3:

Parkinson’s can cause slurred speech and a quieter voice. People with Parkinson’s who sing may also find that their musical side is affected, too. A speech therapist, especially through the LSVT LOUD program, can help this symptom. Singing in a choir or on your own can also help strengthen your voice.

Unfortunately, I sound like a flippin' parrot when I sing. My singing voice could sterilize a sharpei at 40 feet. So, relax dogs, no singing from me, but I intend to retake the 8 weeks of voice therapy and this time be serious about it.

I will phone the therapist on Monday.

Wednesday at the latest!

8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the haiku.... bummer about the speaking but these things do come and go, especially with the various therapies and exercise. Hang in there and keep those poems poppin. Mary Jane might help too; you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive critique and advise. I recommend voice training. The woman who does it at the Movement Disorder Clinic is very good but I never took the training seriously. I am going to do so if I get to take it again. The alternative therapy of a pint of strawberry ripple and gold anchor rum can also be beneficial. That therapy doesn't change anything but it helps socially. People just think you are drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you also meant "limerick." Forgive a fussy retired literature teacher. I'll offer one of my poems in recompense, one that suits some of pwp.

    The mirror shows a shrinking face;
    My memory now resembles lace;
    This human frame grows thin with age;
    And learning never turns a page.
    Yet pride and ego, true to type,
    Imagine wisdom pure and ripe,
    Envision beauty softened, sweet
    As well as lifelong goals complete:
    Illusory bubbles fully blown ---
    These remain as all I own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your poem J but not sure I fully understand it yet. Care to share some more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you mean share more poems, I'll refer you to "Artfulness and Old Lace" on amazon.com. If you mean share more about the meaning of the poem above, it shows a contrast between what we are as we age (with or without PD)and what we delude ourselves into believing we are. The tone is intended to be light, self-mocking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I am not sure we do not grow and see the bigger picture with less attachment... transcendence if you will... as patterns of higher functioning hopefully unfold despite our shrinking brains and shuffling gait. I will be sure to check out "Artfulness and Old Lace."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, I like your attitude and agree with your comment. It's optimism that helps us pwp do well.

    ReplyDelete