counter

Monday 9 May 2016

Egotism, n: Doing the New York Times crossword puzzle with a pen.

Picture this: My wife, my younger son and I are lazing about and my wife is doing a crossword puzzle. I had started it and as usual she finishes it. She asks me if the answer I had given for the clue "hypnotism pioneer", which was "Mesmer", could possibly be correct. I tell her I had taken a shot, equating "Mesmer" to "Mesmerism". She was doubtful so I googled it.

About an hour after finding the answer, I wondered if hypnotism had any effect on PD and this is what I discovered:

This case study reports on a 51-year-old male Parkinson’s patient who received 3 weekly sessions of a hypnosis intervention, as well as instruction in self-hypnosis. Actigraphy was used to assess rest-tremor severity. Results revealed a 94% reduction in rest tremors following treatment. Self-reported levels of anxiety, depression, sleep quality, pain, stiffness, libido, and quality of life also showed improvements. The patient reported a high level of satisfaction with treatment. These findings suggest clinical hypnosis is potentially feasible and beneficial treatment for some Parkinson’s symptoms. Further investigation with diverse samples and an ambulatory monitoring device is warranted.

I think I mentioned seeing the great Canadian hypnotist, Reveen, a couple of decades ago. He was successful in making audience members do all sorts of crazy things while hypnotized. "Magic", I thought back then, but now I think it was a combination of magic and mystical, mind reading, mind bending, computer skills. Raveen was the first hacker. He had hacked into his subjects' brains, as the scientist/hypnotist had done with his 51 year old subject. Raveen for amusement, the scientist for insight into the parkie brain. Both had made the brain react to his commands. The brain is not all powerful. We will find a cure.

We now have another weapon in our arsenal.

quotation found here

Head line- Ambrose Bierse

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete