counter

Sunday 15 May 2016

I am one acquainted with the write **

Sometimes I feel like I write too much, too often, and I overstay my welcome with readers. Too bad. I have a need to write and rejoice and moan and explain. With that in mind, here is today's lesson that I have named:

"Laws of physics: co-conspirators with PD".

Newton's first law states that a body at rest will remain at rest, and a body in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force. This law is also called the law of inertia. INERTIA! That is the word I was looking for. For PWP, it is sometimes a cruel, vile, word. For example, today I stood on my stoop trying to decide whether or not to move for a 2 mile stroll. Enter RESTING INERTIA! This is a benign form of the concept. To be honest and contrite, I admit that all the laws of inertia are not annoying. I should have stayed motionless. Had I not moved, I would have been a body at rest remaining at rest. That would have been a reasonable decision (having walked once in the previous month).

However, I had my poles in hand and made the tragic decision to test the second part of the first law for a body in motion. I began my trek, ergo, I moved, rather I stumbled, slowly and, at first, alle ist gute. After the initial mile, I began to feel it, the ghostly INERTIA OF MOVEMENT and its partner, DIRECTIONAL INERTIA fell upon me and took up residence in my brain. I could not slow down; nor could I change direction. I needed an equal but opposite force to stop me. I found it in the plate glass of the door of the 7/11. We met with a bang. The customers turned to see what the commotion was all about. Fortunately for me and the glass, both my mass and my acceleration were negligible, allowing the force with which I met the door to be unquantifiable (F=MA), the only damage being my embarrassment.

I bought 2 newspapers and smiled at the other customers so they would think a man using ski poles in summer, and smashing into the door was a common occurrence. The terrible two inertias had had their fun with me. I felt somewhat normal (for a PWP). I sheepishly departed, my mortification enshrined in my red face; but, good news, I easily reached my 2 mile target. Even the natural laws of motion ...... (well you fill in the rest of this sentence with the lesson learned).

This concludes my catharsis. I may have spoken about this topic in earlier posts, but it deserved repeating. Inertia of Movement is just festination. If you encounter it, go into the state of Resting Inertia, sit down, to avoid falling down, but if you do fall, try to avoid using the ground as your equal, but opposite force. It kind of hurts!

"The Force" a metaphysical and mystically ubiquitous power in the fictional universe of the Star Wars galaxy.

**My apologies to Langston Hughes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete