counter

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Of drugs and batchorettes

Do you suffer from sleepless night times? Are you, like I, up at 2:30AM or so and you don't want to be awake? Do you fall back asleep, watch TV? I have tried all the tricks, usually without success. Well take heed, what follows might help.

Solution #1 - The Chemical Remedy

I take a sleeping pill at around 10:30 PM, sleep by 11PM, awaken 4 hours later.

When I first awaken, I try to lie still and go back to sleep, but I start thinking too much, about my children, their children, the best linoleum, the number of fairies that can dance on the head of a pin and finally, the piece de resistance, I am wide awake thinking about thinking.

What do I do about it?

Drugs can help. I highly recommend a sleeping pill. I use zopiclone (Z). This does not put me to sleep. I have no trouble falling asleep. With Z, I fall asleep quickly and deeply. Without Z, I would still fall asleep but I would only be half asleep. Somewhere in my brain I would be able to hear everything around me and wouldn't get any rest. Z solves that problem. It puts me under into a deep sleep that can only be disturbed by a riveter working beside my bed. It's a good drug. The only thing wrong with the use of Z is there is an inverse relationship between its efficacy and the frequency of its use . The more it is used leads to a decrease in efficacy and a need for more pills or a higher dosage. Z is not addictive, but a reliance on it is a distinct possibility. I can attest to that. Still, I prefer a drug-induced coma come daybreak rather than the zombie I resemble without rest.

Solution #2 - The Ennui Factor

Late, late television can also help. If you wake up at 3AM, check for some show that has the potential of summoning your slumber. Shows, full of suspense, like the one where the chef berates his students and then rates their dishes to find a winner; or, television guaranteed to bring you to the edge of your seat in anticipation such as The Bachelor and for equality and PC, The Bachelorette. You know of what I speak, shows that have a good plot, rising action and a surprising denouement.(such sarcasm!) Try this technique and, if one of those shows fails to put you under until the alarm sounds, I feel sorry for you. You might as well get up and make breakfast.

I am accustomed to my circumstances now. Occasionally I nap but in truth, besides sustenance and TV, all I really need is a good night's sleep, world peace, and a new computer.

I will settle for the computer, thank you.

Note - I have accidentally erased the past few comments. Please keep commenting. I enjoy reading them

No comments:

Post a Comment