counter

Friday 24 June 2016

Will the future be a sight for sore eyes

OK. A short primer on PD. Most of you know the following by heart but it bears repeating>

PD is a neurological disorder caused by the death of dopamine producing neurons in the substantia nigra and can therefore deplete the brain's production of dopamine in a part of the brain called the putamen, a round structure connected to the substantia nigra and which is involved with motor memory. Lack of dopamine can also cause problems in the visual cortex and to a lesser extent, cells in the retina. PWP may complain about conditions such as blurred vision, trouble reading, double vision and dry eyes.

It's the dry eyes syndrome that sometimes causes me problems. They get so dry, I feel there is something in them, but when I try to remove it, there is nothing there.

Dry eyes, of course.

I went to my optometrist a couple of days ago and she described my eyeballs as having the appearance of dried chapped hands with little cracks running through them.

We discussed the issue and landed upon blinking, or the lack thereof. Apparently the normals (People without PD) blink 16 - 18 times per minute while most PWP blink once or twice during the same time frame. Blinking coats the eyes with moisture; so, you can see that we blinking challenged folk are going to have dry eyes and when they get dry enough, a phantom intruder appears, a feeling of something in the eye. If you get that feeling, and you can't recall a foreign object making its way into the eye, just moisturize the eyeball with artificial tears.

I use 2 types of artificial tears, a liquid form, such as Visine and a gel form such as Tear Gel. I now use the liquid 4 - 5 times per day and just before I close my eyes to sleep, I put tear gel into them. The gel coats the eyeball and keeps it dry through the night.

It seems to be working but I hope I can keep up this regimen. I have a history of breaking the treatment when the thing being treated is seemingly healed. I have to drill it into my head that even if I do succeed in ridding my eyeballs of those little cracks, I have to understand and believe that as a PWP, dry eyes is with me for life and so is the treatment; for life or until I am cured of the cursed PD.

Not to worry for I, Like Alfred, Lord Tennyson,have dipped into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be” Yes indeed, I have looked into the future, cracked eyeballs and all, and have seen the future looking back at me. I hear whispers in a far off room telling me it is only a matter of time.

Keep the faith my friends. It is only a matter of time

PS - To J of Grey Cottage - try the gel at bedtime. Can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment