counter

Thursday 20 October 2016

Home is the sailor, home from sea

When our family crossed the ocean on the Empress of Britain so many years ago, one of our survival abilities was to learn how to walk on a ship, particularly in rough seas.  We managed to get our sea legs quite quickly and strolls around the ship still were adventures.


                                                 The Empress of Britain (1955 I think)

Being young, following a brutal bout of seasickness, we would go to places children should have been wary of, but that is for a later blog.  We explored every inch of that ship, using our land legs to bounce from wall to wall until we got our sea legs - a very strange phenomenon akin to not being in control of your body and then regaining it with a kind of upright duck walk.

I am entering a phase in PD where l need my sea legs back.  There are moments when I am glad we have walls, so that I can carom off them to get to my destination.  This is common in the morning but when I take my meds, l start to feel normal again - legs work like they should, no pinball action of bouncing from wall to wall.  I start to feel good once more, like when we got over the seasickness and were able to conduct our explorations.

I want to still be able to explore but I am a realist.  PD may someday retire that little gift, removing my ability to walk; but, as the captain of the Empress of Britain correctly predicted, when the sea got rough, there was coming a slow wind that would quiet the sea.  Now, I too can sense the coming of a cool, calming breeze.  My "spidy sense" thinks it is bringing with it, a cure.

In the meantime, I still have a need to explore while my legs still work!  Too bad there are no ocean liners; it is difficult to explore airplanes.  Seen one, seen them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment