counter

Sunday 1 January 2017

Thoughts from a shameless gandy dancer

I confess I am still suffering from melancholy. Just a tad. Don't worry. It will pass when I collect my thoughts and realize realty can be unreal.

This mood was brought on by the newspaper in which the editor felt it necessary to include 6 pages of expanded obituaries of celebrities who died in 2016. This annual death roll, while somewhat interesting, gave me pause. It was just a morbid page filler, but it included the deceaseds' ages at time of death.

Whoaaa! Wait a minute, they were all around my age. That sent me to Google. I needed to look up the average life time for Canadians. Females 81, males 77!!!! That only gives me 6 more years! But, I am still young. My physical fitness rivals that of a 50 year old.

Heart? Great, strong.

Lungs? Fantastic.

Mind, noisy but positive.

Yes, I am in great shape at almost 71.

But, there is just one thing.

I have parkinson's disease. And, after a plateau of 6 years, the disease is progressing. That evil SOB is going to win.

However, I will not let it get me down. My melancholy is fading. I can hear whispers in a far off room. They give me hope. New drugs, new therapies, and hey, maybe even a cure. Those whispers are getting louder, becoming real. They lift my spirits.

I intend to live beyond 77 and when I die, free of PD, promise me you will cremate my body and have my ashes spread on Michelle Pfeiffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment