counter

Tuesday 5 December 2017

"I was the Elvis of boxing" (Muhammad Ali)

Boxing! Who knew it would be beneficial for me?  It has been very beneficial for me....but why? How can I claim to be  the Aged Elvis of Boxing*. For explanation, let me burden you with my situation.  I had never boxed in my pre PD days, so I was a complete, somewhat sceptical neophyte.  I quickly got into the sport.  I am learning a) boxing is not a primitive sport.  It is slow, with rather unexpectedly fast moments.  It is simply a difficult, complicated, intricate dance b)  the people taking the class are a welcoming, encouraging group and I enjoy their company, more so, since it is a non-contact version of pugulism c) boxing is beneficial for any person with PD.  

What makes hitting a bag good for PwP, you ask?

Here is the theory; to which I am a believer. Any form of exercise that is brand new to you, (such as boxing is for me and for probably nearly all PwP,)  challenges your brain, forcing it to adapt to the new stress put upon it.  New pathways and connections are created leading to an active brain, a "dynamic" brain if you will.  PwP should keep their brains as dynamic as possible.   You can keep it  dynamic by imposing new things on it.  Regular exercise, and in particular, new sports such as boxing,  keep the brain active and has been shown to slow down the progress of the "disease".

In Winnipeg, "Rock Steady" boxing operates under the auspices of "U-Turn Parkinson's".  If you are a PWP, do yourself a favour, visit their website at http://www.uturnparkinsons.org or call them at
Phone: (204) 510-4869.  You won't regret it.

*I can claim that title because nobody else has claimed it!





No comments:

Post a Comment