counter

Tuesday 20 August 2013

The speed limit is my event horizon

We know what the speed of light is, but what is the speed of dark? Well, I know it all too well....the speed of dark is roughly equal to the speed at which I can run a mile and a half. Yes, I have pushed myself to that distance but with a burning chest and a lack of breath. I turn my ipod up high so I won't hear the scuffle of my shuffling feet - it is possible to shuffle while you run. Of course the resulting friction must be what is slowing me down because I want to go faster, but I am so much slower than pre - PD (almost 3 years since dx). Stockings run faster than I do. At my fastest, I experience the speed of dark, slow, oh so slow.

But....I am over the hill and gathering speed.

It has been 3 years and really, nothing has changed greatly - except for my loss of smell (I haven't smelled much for the past 20 years) and my loss of confidence in my speaking ability but physically, I am fit and the tremors are being held in check by the drugs.

I lose all my confidence when I open my mouth to speak. Word retrieval is nearly impossible at times and embarrassing silence can result in the middle of a sentence. Oddly, this condition is sometimes missing. It is like I have a multiple personality disorder. I prefer the garrulous one, even if he doesn't have much worth saying and anyway, nobody can hear him. Silence is my companion. Luckily, I have confidence in my writing. The words come easily and it always interesting to see in which direction they go and where they finally end up. No brain freezes in the written word and I am glad of that.

Just met with clients - no brain freezes today, some sputtering but I covered it up by sounding scholarly.

Just got the news. I am the only one available to babysit my 2 year old granddaughter for 2-3 hours tomorrow. I don't have any problem with that - unless I have to change her. Sense of smell or not - anybody got a spare hazmat suit?

That's all for now. I am going to lie down and imagine a world without the Kardashians.

No comments:

Post a Comment