counter

Tuesday 24 February 2015

Delta Dawn Purveyor of the Yawn

It is 3:00 AM, exactly. I get up for the day, shave, shower and get dressed. Only 30 - 60 minutes earlier than usual, but I am exhausted. It is very cold outside, about -30C with wind gusts, the wind chill is pushing it down to 40 below. Exhaustion! Too bad. Cold! So long. Today, at the crack of dawn we are flying to South Beach, Florida. By airplane, of course. Can you guess what airline? Isn't it obvious - Delta. Get it?

We arrive, without incident, 45 minutes early and step into a blast oven. We must be only a mile or two from the sun. It is 28C (In Farenheit, that is a temperature difference of 122 degrees)

Don't get me wrong, I love the heat. When I started coming here, I would run at the hottest time of the day but now that is no longer possible. I fell too often while running and so I walk, and I walk, and walk some more. I have a device on my wrist to measure how many steps I have taken and I try to get in 10,000 (I've probably mentioned this before - I don't often read past posts). It is now 11AM so I should be well past the 10K by evening. I used one trekking pole this morning and while I looked like a geek, I felt confident and the 4.41 miles I did today were quite easy for me.

As more and more research accumulates touting the benefits of exercise for PWP, I again urge you to get out and walk and if you are nervous, afraid of falling, get trekking poles. You will look odd, but who cares? Another benefit is ....let me give you an example: the sidewalks in South Beach are packed with people who, probably thinking I have an infirmity, move aside when they see me coming and let me pass by and I make great time.

Now, because of Delta Dawn, I am going to go to bed to recuperate but this afternoon, I am planning 3 more miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment