counter

Sunday 15 February 2015

Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice

What happens when a person with a parkinson's voice has to meet with a 95 year old man who is almost blind and is hearing impaired?

I don't know; he called to postpone the meeting after I had prepared my voice to accommodate his problems.

How does a PwP prepare his voice? It is rather easy. As loud as you can, you make noises, high noises tailing off to low noises. Following the noise component, you shout sentences, or read aloud. My practise is to use a dramatic voice to recite poems that I remember, such as Poe's The Raven (first four or five verses). My favourite one, that lends itself to drama, is Buffalo Bill's Defunct by e.e. cummings. Try it the next time you are losing your voice. In a loud and dramatic tone, as if you were on stage, project the following to your imaginary audience:

Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat

Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

The noises, etc, cause my voice to become louder. I wonder why it is that the loss of my voice is the one symptom that has only been helped slightly by L-dopa.... I wonder.

As Charlie Brown said (I think it was Charlie) "Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask myself where have I gone wrong and then a little voice responds, "This is going to take more than one night."

Or words to that effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment