counter

Tuesday 23 April 2019

The Gate

There is a gate with no fence
But it is shut tight and locked
Yet I stand on the outside and wait
My time is a thread cocooning the lock
But the clock has its hand on the gate

Forgive my exhaustion
And trembling hands
& note I'm unable to smell
Caution's my manner and yes you can say
I am obviously doing quite well

But beyond the gate
The time scurries by
Like a mouse in a styrofoam cage
It gnaws at the thread
Cocooning the lock
It is early and yet it's too late

So forgive all the clues
And the witnesses too
& those who refuse to go straight
They stumble in twos
Or threes maybe more
And stammering pass through the gate

Forgive my demeanor
And forgive my slurred speech
Just forget that it isn't a dream
The time starts to swell
My body is done
For I never was all that I seemed

Then I awake and count all my toes
My eyes try hard to relate
At the end of my bed relentless and pure
Stands a fence without any gate









No comments:

Post a Comment