counter

Wednesday 29 May 2019

They are forever blowing bubbles

Am I a cynic when I question whether people looking for cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, PD and the like are not highly motivated? After all, if they find a cure, they are out of a job.

Yes, that is totally cynical...or is it? Progress is being made but slowly so it is hard not to be a cynic. The "disease" has been around a long time. It was given the name "The Shaking Palsy" in 1817 by Dr. James Parkinson who fervently believed a cure was possible if not probable.

Sorry Doc. It is now 202 years later and, guess what? No cures.

However, there is highly regarded research being done and advancements are being made. Dr. Oz's prognostication that "It will be cured within 10 years" may well come true. The problem is, he said that 10 years ago! Still, I remain somewhat optimistic and here a few things I have learned:

  1. Currently there is no cure and there is no magic bullet that will slow the progression of PD.
  2. It seems to me that luck, exercise and diet might possibly slow its progression.
  3. Symptoms can be controlled by recognized drugs such as Levodopa/carbidopa and various dopamine agonists. Sometimes, unexpectedly, a drug such as amantadine will make itself useful
  4. DBS can also control PD symptoms, if you don't mind a neurologist messing with your brain.
  5. "Control" does not mean "cure" or "slow down". PD will be ever-present, attacking and killing off dopamine-producing cells.
  6. Forget about supplements. They most likely can't hurt, but they can't help either.
  7. "Cures" keep popping up on the Net making outrageous claims
  8. I hope this will be a possibility.... and maybe lead to a cure.

Cheer up newbies. I am into my 9th year and the only visible signs of my dark friend is the occasional loss of balance. The secret to my success is luck and exercise. Oh, a good support group helps too. I am grateful for Rock Steady Boxing. Never heard of it? Google can help.

A friend of mine once told me, “Exercise is wonderful. I could sit and watch it all day.”

I Get it. I once held the same opinion but, he is not a PLWP.

I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment