counter

Tuesday 9 July 2013

I need some distraction

Bob Dylan wrote: "Something is happening, but you don't know what it is, do you Mr. Jones?". Buffalo Springfield sang: "There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear". Pretty similar, don't you think?

Coincidence? Who knows? Who cares? The songs just popped into my head because there is something happening here, with me, but it is disappointingly clear. You see, I am a little light-headed and I am having trouble maneuvering around corners and things on the floor. I haven't come close to falling, but I do tend to pull in one direction - ie - to my right, like a car whose wheels need to be balanced. It is PD raising its sad, ugly head. Oh well, I am certain this symptom will come and go just like all the others have. It is a real roller coaster ride.

To feel better, I went to the lake for the weekend and walked for an hour each day. For those readers in far off lands, who have never seen or heard of our inland sea, here are some details. It is the 11th largest lake in the world but unfortunately, it is number one on the world's endangered lakes list. It is not polluted yet and probably never will be, as some dedicated people are raising awareness and taking steps to reduce the amount of nutrients, running off of farm land and pouring into the lake. In the meantime, it is a popular recreation destination and supports a large fishery. For me, it is my distraction, my sanctum sanctorum, in the strictly secular sense of the word, especially at 5 in the morning when I am walking all alone. I mean, who else goes out at that time of the day? The walk and isolation relax me and for a few hours I can forget about symptoms. Forgetting is becoming my opiate. It allows me to wallow in oblivion and maintain my sanity. That's a good thing folks. Here's to conscious unconsciousness.


The Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment