counter

Thursday 4 July 2013

"Jogging is good for the ground. It makes it feel needed"*

I have taken up running 3 or 4 times a week and I hate every step. I always have despised running, yet I ran obsessively, 4 or 5 time per week, for more than 30 years before the onset of my dark passenger - PD. I even held a provincial record in the one mile race walk (an odd form of slow running) when I was 46. Held it for one year until some university student from Saskatchewan shattered it by an enormous margin.

When I was diagnosed, I decided to lay off running on the off chance that I might fall. It was a good excuse to avoid it. However, I started to gain weight - not much, but when I ran, I could always eat whatever I wanted without repercussion, and so I started running again a couple of months ago and bingo, I was afraid of falling and did fall once. To counteract the force of gravity trying to pull my torso forward and down, I adopted the style of that great American 400m runner Michael Johnson. I have to physically keep my body stiff at a right angle to the ground. I look ridiculous, but I have lost some weight. Things are looking up.

I was on a PD forum recently when a member mentioned he was regularly running to build strong leg muscles to help prevent falls. Another member responded that the falling problem wasn't due to weak legs; the problem was in his brain and no matter how strong his leg muscles were, they wouldn't stop him from falling if his brain decided otherwise (a precis of the conversation but you get the drift). Sad, but true, our brains are deteriorating and we are slowly losing control. Fortunately, drugs can control the symptoms and the future does not look too bleak. Therefore run, if you will, get strong legs, can't hurt, but it won't prevent a fall; but, exercise, including running, seems to slow the progression of the condition. So, I will continue my Michael Johnson imitation (running at 100th of his speed) until I can no longer run or somebody sees me and starts laughing.

On the upside, at least I will lose more weight.

After thought - I am fairly certain a buckled sidewalk caused my fall, not PD.



*based on a Charles Schulz quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment