counter

Monday 29 July 2013

Nothing is quite so sure as change.

Went to the cottage this past weekend and did nothing of any consequence. I tried to watch "The Game Of Thrones". I had heard it was very good but during the 3rd episode, I fell asleep. I am not enamoured with the show but maybe the good parts happened while I napped. I will watch the remainder of season one and, if nothing else, I should get some good naps along the way. The rest of my time was spent editing my daughter-in-laws PhD thesis and thinking about changes that have happened in the 3 years since diagnosis.

When PD first struck me, it did so with a vengeance. The pain of a leg cramp with your foot curling in and up is beyond description and all that time, I had the embarrassment of a visible hand tremor. Medication seemed to put those symptoms to bed but they were quickly followed by an excess of saliva and a slurring of words. Both went away. Next came by one encounter with festination, a purely negative experience. It has not bothered me since and my neurologist told me it might never happen again. For the past few weeks, I have been shuffling along and now that seems to have corrected itself. All I am left with is difficulty speaking - losing my train of thought, stumbling over words or forgetting them completely. I am hoping for a change in that problem too.

The symptoms seem to come and go and I don't know why. All I know is things are bound to change over time and eventually, I may suffer some or all of the symptoms of PD or maybe some clever person will find a cure. I remain positive that there will be changes for the better, but every so often, the condition throws a wrench into the works and a little negativity creeps in to disrupt my sunny disposition.

In the words of W.H. Audwn, "We all have these places where shy humiliations gambol on sunny afternoons."

If you are a victim, you must remember to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and latch on to the affimative. Don't mess with Mr. In Between.

Thus endeth today's sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment