counter

Monday 9 September 2013

Round 2 - down for an 8 count

FESTINATION Definition: Bending forwards while walking, with rapid, small, shuffling steps and a tendency to run.

Notice there is no mention of the fact you get going so quickly, your chest gets lower and lower and your steps get shorter and shorter until eventually you slam into the ground and there is nothing you can do about it. You might recall from an earlier post that it happened to me last winter. My resulting face plant was into a pile of snow. No harm done. One of the doctors remarked that it might never happen again.

Well, it did happen again........ this morning. I was running at about 6AM when I began to go down. I was on the sidewalk and tried my best, as I was falling, to get my head onto the grass. Grass is softer than pavement. No such luck. I hit the cement with the left side of my body and for a second, I wondered if I was going to black out. I didn't. I got up and walked home. Fortunately, there was nobody around to witness this spectacle, or the blood seeping out of the damage to my body. My left hand was shredded, and I had significant cuts, scrapes and bruising to my knees, right hand, left arm and shoulder. But, the PD saved the best for the last, the left side of my face introduced itself to the sidewalk and was thoroughly damaged. And it hurts, boy does it hurt. There is swelling just under the eye that is going to result in a colorful shiner and my chin is scrapped to the extent that I couldn't shave there.

I may never run again. As a doctor once told me ten years ago, when I complained of pain in my legs, "Running is contraindicated". That didn't stop me then, but this incident will probably make me carefully examine the pros and cons of running versus walking. We'll see what happens. A flaw in my character is that I am a bad loser and I can't take this set back like a gentleman. I may HAVE to run again.

Or maybe I will just stay in bed. Sleeping people can't fall down.


'Ave a look at this then, as a friend in England used to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment