counter

Monday 2 September 2013

TRUMPED!

On Saturday I ran 1.8 miles before my lungs tried to jump out of my throat to find a less hostile environment. My intention is to step it up to 2 miles this week so, today I began that mission. I actually planned to try to complete it today, allowing the trumpets in my mind to herald a new beginning. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Remember "festination"? Also known as "Parkinson's gait"? Here is a litle reminder:

Festination is an alteration in gait pattern characterized by a quickening and shortening of normal strides.

If you have read my earlier entries, you might remember I suffered a bout of festination last winter. I got strange feeling, as if I was being pulled forward. I began moving faster with my steps getting shorter, my head bowing lower, until I ended up face first in the snow. Today, as I was running, I began to get that feeling about a half mile into my run so I stopped and walked. I stood straight, forced my feet to fall - heel first then toe, swung my arms and took longer steps and it worked! The feeling went away but by then I was at a 7-11 so I stopped and bought a newspaper and walked home reading. I had beaten PD. Another pyrrhic victory for me. But PD had prevented me from completing my mission. Another defeat.

Hell.... I will just call the entire battle a wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment