counter

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Arms and the Man

I was lying on my back on the couch watching TV. My left arm was bent so that the elbow rested on the back of the couch and my hand was on my cheek. Have you ever been so tired that nothing can keep you from falling asleep? You always let Hypnos take you, didn't you? Me too. But not this time. As I was about to drift off, at that point where consciousness is leaving, but you are still semi-awake, my left arm shot straight up and became rigid, and I mean RIGID, for the blink of an eye, pointing accusingly at the ceiling as if it was aware of something there beyond my ken. That woke me up! There was no pain involved, just good, old fashioned, "What the hell was that?" and my arm relaxed. You would think I'd be used to twitching muscles, but this one was sudden and particularly violent.

I have written about these contractions before, but this time was different. the worst thing about the incident was it occurred on my left side, which so far has been spared the battering of PD. Is it beginning to take all of me? Or is this just a one-time, super twitch? Who knows? Who cares? And the game goes on.

If you are looking for a really good site, go to Parkinson's UK. There is a wealth of information there, nicely organized and a lively forum. Much of what I know came from the authors of the site and the people on the forum.

“Here's Death! twitching my ear: "Live," says he, "for I'm coming" (Virgil)

Total page views to date, 19,595.

No comments:

Post a Comment