counter

Tuesday 28 April 2015

Life as an ex- pinball wizard

My neurologist, another doctor from Montreal and a genealogical nurse (the last two are conducting the research into caffeine) have all confirmed that exercise and good nutrition are our major weapons in slowing the progression of PD. These 3 medicos work at the Movement Disorder Clinic and know whereof they speak. So get up off the couch and get active. I do 45 - 60 minutes a day 5 days a week; although, sometimes I get carried away and hit 90 minutes.

Speaking of the research project, I received the most thorough physical test you could ask for. Nothing was said, but I think I came out fairly well. Sometimes silence from the medical team is a good thing.

Good news: 26 is considered normal in the mini mental and one paper I read noted 25 to be the lower level of normalcy. I am guessing the team just going to be noting changes using the test, because I don't think it is too useful for any other thing.

Strange news:Ever since I started taking the caffeine pills, I have had much better sleeps. Coincidence? Too early to be anything other than coincidence (7 days). But, you never know.

Bad news: I think the researchers have concluded that my left side is under the influence of PD. I had hoped it would remain in my right side only, but that's not to be. I think they are right (sadly) because I do feel that if it were not for the medication, I would be a human pinball, bouncing from one wall to the kitchen counter, to a living room chair, until my controller gets bored and "tilts" me, bringing the game to an end. You get the picture. It is an utterly foreign feeling, not having control over your body, being slightly "off" when you turn a corner too quickly or stand too quickly. It is hard to describe but you will understand if you remember when you were a kid, someone would spin you around several times and when you tried to walk, you staggered, slightly off balance. That's what I feel like only not quite so intense....yet.

So here I am. Just a silver ball in the pinball machine of life, going where the flippers take me. (Did I mention PD is operating those flippers?

Even on my better days
PD could beat my best.
I used to be a wizard
But... you really know the rest.
He's got crazy consequences
And would love to see me fall...

When he gets his game on
He sure plays a mean pinball

(My apologies to The Who)

Pageviews all time history ----33,718

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! really impressed with your original and genuine way you have put your story across - you're an inspiration and I am following your journey - awesome work!

    ReplyDelete