counter

Friday 10 April 2015

The Parkie Hoedown

I woke up a little later today, about 5am. I wandered around the house being bored so I decided to exercise, even though it was my day off. To shake off the boredom, I lifted weights and worked on the bosu ball. After a half hour, I was high on life and decided to go for a short walk. It turned into 3 miles. Using my trekking poles, I made good time. Feeling pretty smug, I decided to slow down the last 500m or so. Bad idea. As soon as I stopped to check my Fitbit, I knew I was in trouble. I was into full-blown festination, the good ol' parkinson's gate. I was about to pitch forward onto the pavement when I jabbed my poles into the ground and was able to remain upright.

Not much of a story. The only lesson I took from it was I must be moderate in intensity when I exercise.

That won't happen. I become obsessed with pushing myself. It makes me feel good. Sure, I might fall now and then but, if you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain, as they say.

By the way, festination is from the latin "festinare" meaning "to hurry".


Beginning to festinate. Once started, it is difficult to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment