counter

Saturday 18 April 2015

The truth is out there and now it's in here

Here are some facts people believe that scare the newly diagnosed:

  1. The only symptom of parkinson's is tremor. Ha - we wish! Parkinson's has a whole menu of symptoms. For me, a loss of the ability to find words is the most devastating. Those of us who suffer from this tend not to talk, lest we look stupid.

    Also high on the list of woes is the loss of the sense of smell. Sometimes it is an advantage, but food no longer has a large impact on the taste buds. Without the smell, it is less tasty. Then there is a lack of sleep, cruel constipation, depression, and the list goes on. I have been lucky and have only encountered three or four that have taken up residence.

  2. You should put off taking the gold star of our weapons, levadopa, because it only works for a few years. Don't be a believer. Material from the Parkinson's Disease Foundation states, quite emphatically, "Levodopa works for decades. Levodopa does not treat all of the symptoms of PD, but it dramatically helps many of the most disabling motor symptoms."

  3. Parkinson's is fatal - Nope wrong again. People might die as a result of complications, such as damage caused by falling, but for most of us, we will die with parkinson's not from parkinson's. You can expect a normal life span.

  4. Take the medication; yes, but that is the only thing helps. Nonsense, take the medication, for sure; but, I have read that exercising regularly, both physically and mentally, is beneficial in slowing the progress of the condition. One study I read had PWP do moderate exercise for one hour per week and those who exercised, did not deteriorate (the only word I can think of) as much as the control group of couch potatoes. Doing crosswords or any mentally challenging game helps as well. I have taken this to heart; especially physical exercise; although perhaps, to extremes. I may have worn out my welcome repeatedly mentioning my exercise regime, but let me just say that walking over 10,000 steps (on average) five out of seven days has got to be good for you.

I could go on but I think I will end today's sermon and say adieu for a few days. I will be back and will describe a few more myths in a future entry.

A bientot. As Lord Byron wrote:

Fare thee well, and if for ever,
Still for ever fare thee well.”

1 comment: