counter

Monday 22 August 2016

If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you.

31C or 88F! No humidity. A perfect summer day for a 5 mile run; but, I can no longer run outdoors. I gave that up a few years ago after two disastrous falls. My right foot does not get completely off the ground and any anomaly in the pavement, the slightest bump, can send me directly to a meeting with Mother Earth. Now that I believe the symptoms of second stage PD are starting to make an appearance, I am quite sure I would trip over a crack in the sidewalk. So, when I finish this entry, I am off to the treadmill. I hate it, but thank God for the treadmill. Without it, I would have problem exceeding a snail's pace.

So, no running outdoors; but, you ask, why not walk? I would, but lately, even with trekking poles, walking is not enjoyable. I start off smoothly and easily but half way through, I begin to get the feeling that I can't stop. When I arrive home after the full walk (about 45 minutes), I have trouble getting the key into the lock because my body wants to keep going. I end up with my head against the door with my legs spread out as if I am about to be patted down by a cop. When I am successful with the key, and I open the door, I sort of fall into the house and must grab at a wall to stay upright. This miserable feeling disappears after 5 or so minutes and I am back to my form of "normal". Consequently, I have reduced the frequency of walking to once every three days.

My Exercise Regime

  • Monday - stretch followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill, followed by a warm down of various times on the stationary bike.
  • Tuesday - stretch and then workout using dumbbells, bosu ball, bull worker and medicine ball (one hour) warm down by eating breakfast
  • Wednesday - walk 2 miles using trekking poles only if I have a mind to; otherwise repeat Monday
  • Thursday, Friday, Saturday - repeat previous 3 day cycle.
  • Sunday - day of rest

Does it help?

Who knows if it helps! I think it does. Experts think it does. It has been 6 years since my diagnosis and I am not even sure if I am in stage 2, and even if I am, it has taken some time to arrive at this stage. I believe exercise has slowed the progress of the disease. I hate every second of exercise, but I know it is beneficial and I never regret the time I spend exercising but I suffer from guilt and regret if skip it. It's a hardship but, I do it, over and over. You understand that I am at war with PD and this is the only weapon I possess.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete