counter

Monday 1 August 2016

The child is father of the man (Wordsworth*)

I think Wordsworth was saying that the character of a man / woman is shaped from the events and influences of his / her childhood.

If that is the case, my wife and I have produced 3 good people. Braggadocio? I think not. Witness the events of the past 5 days.

Six days ago, my 67 year old wife deadlifted 160 lbs. The next day she had a hysterectomy (uterine cancer). For the four days following, she was bedridden. Who took charge? Not me. Between the 3 of them, our children took over, making a schedule for which of them would be in the house at all times, making notes of the doctor's instructions, setting up a timetable for taking medication and ensuring it was taken. In short, they did everything necessary to see her through the tough times while also being solicitous of my well being. My conclusion was that it was "time to let go."

Now 70 years old, I am used to being in charge, being the strong one, the disciplinarian, the solver of problems. Now I fear I am no longer that person and maybe I never was; you'd have to ask my children. Whatever was the case, I now see the competence of each of them and I am ready to stand aside and let a new generation take up the cause. I can look forward to my golden years with my wife, who came through the operation with flying colours and with a new goal, a deadlift of 200 lbs. I am certain she will make it, after all, in reality, she was the backbone of our home. Our children are the recipients of her determination and other desirable qualities. They may have got some from me but, who knows? Again, you'd have to ask them..

Why all this personal stuff? I hear you ask.

Life throws curve balls our way and we want to hit each one out of the ballpark. It isn't always possible. Age and/or parkinson's robs us of our strength. We have to let go and let another assume the throne. We should not be embarrassed about our "disease" and nor should we disparage our fall in status.

That's life folks. Live it!

Someone, I don't remember who, said something to the effect that the hardest part of letting go, is learning to start over. We have no choice but to accept our time with PD and let our children take charge while we learn a new role in the universe.

The child is becoming the father.

* from the poem, "The Rainbow"

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete