counter

Wednesday 3 August 2016

The Parkie Depression i.e. Sadness and depression are not synonyms

“Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I may have been depressed once. I took a pill (I can't remember what it was for). I was supposed to take it just before bedtime but, real men don't obey the doctor's orders, I took it around 10:30 AM. I suffered all day. I could not have cared about anything. I was exhausted and unhappy. Drug induced depression, I guess - a 24 hour depression. A total opposite mood from the mood(s) I generally display.

About 20% - 25% of PWP will suffer depression and that begs the question: Does PD cause the depression or is it caused by the drugs?

Unfortunately, like all things PD, who knows? No doubt the answer is probably both PD and drugs or a combination are capable of being the culprit(s). Another "who knows" answer. Don't despair, caught early enough, a professional mind disrupter -ie - psychiatrist or psychologist, can help lead you out of your darkness.

I have discussed depression in earlier entries. They were generic sessions. This entry will deal with the scary stuff, the characteristics of PD depression that will drive you deeper into your black shadow. Keep in mind that sadness alone is not PD depression. No. What follows is a list of "all that misery's hand bestows to fill your catalogue of parkie woes"*. If you experience some, or all of these, see your doctor because depression may cause our sick passenger to pick up its pace and worsen your current symptoms.

Behold my list that I compiled from the literature.

If you have Sadness plus

  • you are indifferent to things you used to enjoy.
  • you are exhausted all the time
  • you don't get enough sleep or you get too much sleep.
  • Your appetite suffers
  • you can't concentrate
  • you don't like yourself
  • you would rather lie around all day and brood
  • you have thoughts of killing yourself
.

Sadness alone will probably cure itself, but if any of the things in this list, let's say four or more, accompany your sadness, get thee to a medico and get some help.

Depression is akin to a war between your body and your brain. Your body urges you to live, but the brain wants to die. This is one battle we can win if we attack quickly.

*apologies to John Scott of Amwell and his anti-war poem, The Drum

No comments:

Post a Comment