counter

Monday 3 February 2014

Finding meaning through suffering

On a blog to which I subscribe, a newly diagnosed PWP, wrote that he felt he had only 2 years left before his legs would betray him and after that, he was going to consider suicide.

First of all, chances are his legs will be fine for a lot more than 2 years as evidenced by responses by other PWP, one of whom has had the condition for 16 years, the other for 6 years and both are still physically active.

Secondly, more than one person dies in a suicide.

Most people contemplate suicide at least once in their lives. But I suspect those who carry through, do so with a pain those who don't can never understand. PD is not that kind of pain. We are survivors who have found a lifeboat in the form of miracle drugs that control our symptoms. It took Ali about 30 years before he lost the use of his legs. Those of us in our 60's will be dead before 30 years run out and those with early onset PD will probably experience a cure in their lifetime. Michael J. Fox, diagnosed at 29, is still going strong after 20 years. I hope the person who is contemplating killing himself either has just suffered a momentary loss of clarity or, if he is suffering from a depression, gets professional help. All I can tell him is he is not alone and not to let the diagnosis get him down.

A friend of mine sent me a pamphlet that contained this quote from Helen Keller

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through the experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved".

While I don't consider myself to be too much of a "sufferer", I did find that following diagnosis, I became more of a humanitarian and certainly far more optimistic. I really can't explain myself. Things are just different - better. Perhaps my soul has been strengthened.

Maybe I am a "sufferer". Obviously I would be better off without the disease, but I am beginning to understand Michael J. when he said PD has made him a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment