counter

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Fly me to the moon

After this trip, I think I will hate flying. I am not afraid of flying, although it always amazes me when that raging, metallic leviathan suddenly launches itself into the air. These days I appreciate the airplane is a time machine. In 6 hours it takes me from winter into summer. Yesterday, it was -15C, today it is +29C. However, now that PD is progressing, the trip here (South Beach, FLA) has become an unappreciated weight around my fantasy of Eden.

Careless Driving: It all started with a wet snowfall and a cab ride to the airport at 3:15AM. Our driver was carefully negotiating the slippery streets when suddenly some ass blew through a red light, horn blaring, and aiming for the rear door on the side where my wife was sitting. If it hadn't been for the skill and caution of our driver, my wife would have been seriously injured. We avoided disaster by one or two inches.

Airports: I think these were built as instruments of torture. Long waits, even in the Nexus lines. Having to remove my shoes at one airport but not at another. I mean really, is it terribly necessary to have me, an obviously unassuming, harmless old gent take off my belt! And what's up with being told to arrive at the airport early and then ending up sitting for a couple of hours until the boarding hour.

Airplanes: Long lineups for boarding. Delays. No leg room in crowded quarters. Broken televisions. No food, at least none that should be consumed by humans. And don't get me started about exiting the plane; can't they open the door a little quicker!

All these things combined, turned my body into a quivering mass of carbon-based gelatine thanks to PD.

Today, I have returned to normal and even managed a 2 mile walk in the sun before feeling a little uneasy and returning home. Tomorrow I will try for three.

Flying is a mystery, best described as hours of boredom; perhaps interspersed with a few seconds of terror now and then; interesting, necessary and fast, but definitely not friendly to suffers of PD.

A pox on the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment