counter

Monday 7 March 2016

Life is a comedy for a thinking person

I have a few hours before the plane takes off and exactly 15 minutes to sunrise when I think I shall go for a final walk. It is about 21C here and -17C at home. I have got to have one last whiff of summer before returning to the land of snow and ice. So I am killing time with this discussion.

I think the heading of this post should be appropriate for a PWP. Think about it. Our brains are experiencing technical difficulties and we have qualities no other people have.

(Skip ahead. I have been back home for the past two days)

Have you ever been choked up over a TV show? Like that last episode of Downton Abbey. I found myself with a little lump in my throat when Edith found true love, etc, etc. However, I hated the ending, preferring endings such as in The Sopranos. But don't be ashamed if you felt weepy. It is just another of Parkinson's little joys. For example, my PD can instantly turn me into an emotional wimp. I can weep at the tragedy of a cut in the linoleum. I get choked up at the sight of volkswagons. I can dissolve into a helpless mess when reciting my ABC's. And damned if other symptoms don't surface - my right leg went into spasm when Carson was diagnosed with the shaking palsy. God! I hated that last episode! I didn't get emotional about a family that might have been whacked if The Sopranos had continued; so, why Downton Abbey? The emotions are not predictable. They creep up on you; but, if the conditions are right, you might get weepy at the sight of a monarch butterfly. Here is why.....

Pseudobulbar Affect is a symptom of Parkinsons

OH MY GOD, NOW WHAT? Don't panic. It is just a fancy word for "why am I so weepy?" and is recognized as a symptom of degenerative brain problems, including parkinson's. Skeptical? Well read on.

Yet quite often, Dr. Siddiqui—an assistant professor of neurology and neurosurgery and director of the Parkinson's and Movement Disorders program at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, NC, and a member of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN)—finds none of the other classic signs of depression. These include changes in sleep and appetite or loss of interest in usual activities. “You're not depressed,” he tells many of these patients. “You have pseudobulbar affect.”

References to pseudobulbar affect (PBA) date back more than a century. Naturalist Charles Darwin noted in 1872 that “certain brain diseases, such as hemiplegia, brain-wasting, and senile decay, have a special tendency to induce weeping.”

You can find the whole article here.

Hands up all of you PWP who are having fun now. Life is a comedy. I insist we enjoy ourselves, laugh at our PD problems. I mean who cares if Edith gets married? Chuckle at your new-found emotional distress. In the words of Dr. Seuss

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one."
.
One day at a time. Right Michael?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely.... and the hits just keep on coming.

    ReplyDelete