counter

Sunday 13 March 2016

Nocebo you rascal

I have had Bob Dylan's song, Subterranean Homesick Blues repeating in my brain over and over so, as a tribute and an apology, I give you unedited, unabridged PD version of the research study in which I am enrolled and how it feels to me.

The Subterranean Parkinson's Blues

I'm in the laboratory
Livin’ in a test tube
He's in the hall way
Looking for the payday
Man in a white coat
Pen out, pent up
Says he knows the reason
Coffee in a black cup
Look out kid
It’s somethin’ you hid
You knew it then
But he askin’ you again
You better count from a hundred
By sevens if you can
Flat out right shout
Use a different pattern then
Try it by eleven
But you can't pass the ten

Get sick, think well
Take the meds without delay
Maybe this is normal
It seems slightly formal
perhaps a little carnal
The man says it's not time
Placebo, nocebo
It's got to be yes or no
A secret that he doesn't know
Looking for another way
Anticipates the judgment day
Look out kid
It’s nothing you did
Kicking up the beach sand
Shaking in the right hand
A wobble when you do stand
Bruising when you meet land
He reminds me to follow
I'm stalling in the quick sand

Noses supposes
no longer smell the roses
My thoughts safe in escrow
Living is a road show
I have to put my leg up
Shattering the man's cup
Look out kid
Everything you did
Straight from the commissary
Giving you a promissory
First pill to last pill
Try to hold your body still
I waffle through a landfill
Chairman wants the minutes read
I recite my poems instead
In spite of all the brainfall
I try to hit a home run
But he's tossing me a spitball

Sraight talk, bent walk
Prying hands from the clock
Prod me when I'm rest free
Take a shot of coffee
I'm a million miles away
Look out kid
Look under the lid
Don't guess at remedies
Let your body fidget
Late night sleep tight
Don't let the spiders bite
Now the day is in the can
Datum found and data ran
Let me know the things you see
Using a confession booth
He thinks it's level two PD
Don't believe so
It's shouting level one to me.

1 comment:

  1. you might have missed your calling...rocker poet

    ReplyDelete