counter

Wednesday 19 July 2017

Another day, another......

No boxer in the history of boxing has had Parkinson's. There's no injury in my brain that suggests that the illness came from boxing. (Muhammad Ali)

You have to admit he had a point there. If he was the only boxer in history, to have had parkinson's, it kind of rules out head trauma as a cause of the condition (notice I said "condition"; parkinson's is not a "disease"). Look at George Chuvalo, five times Canadian champ and was never knocked down. He was battered and bruised by the likes of Terrell, Frasier, Foreman and twice by Ali but last I heard he was going strong at 79.

Maybe Ali was right.

As for me, boxing is going OK. It is a decent workout but I still do my morning workout. A lady in my class has had PD for 14 years and you would never know it! She credits her condition to exercise.

Workout whenever you can. Become obsessive .

I hope my obsession with exercise keeps me symptom free for 14 years. I see people in the class who cannot control their tremor, others that are stiff and stooped and I hope I never deteriorate that far.

I went to my neuro yesterday. Here is our conversation.

Doc: How are you doing?
Me: Good.
Doc: You are just here for your 6 month checkup. I have no other agenda.

A discussion ensues about my medication; he checks my hands (no tremor) and tells me Rock Steady Boxing is good for me.

Silence falls.

Doc: Well, I,......
Me: Will see me in another 6 months?
Doc: Right

I get up and leave. The whole appointment lasted less than 5 minutes. Not that I am complaining. The brevity of my appointment just means I am doing well. I hate the thought of longer appointments...you know what that means.

I leave you with this fact concerning parkinson's:

People are much less likely to get Parkinson's Disease if they smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, have high cholesterol, and drink too much coffee.

I wonder if they exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment