counter

Sunday 23 July 2017

It is easy to become an old-timer, just don't die.

I wanted to live my life in an astounding manner. As I look back,I may have achieved that goal in a small percentage of my life time. Life itself got in the way. Certainly the birth of my children and grandchildren astounded me and my marriage is not far behind. I doubt I can achieve it now. l don't have much time left. I have one foot in the grave and figure on another 10 - 15 years of existence. The one big complication is, I have PD. It won't kill me, so how will I die with PD? I just hope it will be a dignified death.

The problem is that we all know our time on earth is limited and death is a part of the journey. But, what if you are like me, a 25 year old in a 71 year old body? If you are dealing with the same nonsense as I, you think you are going to live forever, or not far off forever. But then something happens to bring you face-to-face with your maker.

I have been in those situations twice this week; witness:

  1. my wife with three grandchildren and I had been trudging around the zoo for 3 or 4 hours. it was a hot, humid day, and the kids were getting antsy so we decided to take the little shuttle back to the entrance. Unfortunately, it was full and there were two big, tough, mean-looking fellows sitting on one bench, waiting for the next shuttle, and the children and wife took up the other bench. I leaned against a pole dividing the two benches, in a spot that would not allow me to look in their direction, and thereby perhaps incite, the huge fellows on the first bench. I hunched up against the pole using my walking stick to help, restraining PD symptoms that were trying to appear, when one of the guys tapped me on my shoulder, "Excuse me sir. Would you like to take my seat?" one of the fellows said. "Gladly", I replied and turned to see the gentle giant's soft smile.

    Lessons learned: You can't tell a book from its cover and I am getting old, (not "older", just "old") not only in appearance, but in my actions as well.

  2. The chevy Equinox is a great car but for PWP getting in and out is a problem. It often takes me 30 seconds.

    My wife and I went to garage sales this weekend and, since the beach is in a rural area, water drainage is by way of ditches. When you pull your car over to park, two wheels are very near the edge of the ditch. My wife was driving. I started to get out the passenger side, having all the usual difficulties compounded by PD shaking and by the fact that the edge of the ditch was wet and slippery, but I was certain I could handle it. A man saw my struggles and came quickly over, "Do you need a hand old-timer?"

    OLDTIMER!!??

    The man looked as old as I felt (mid thirties). He stuck out his hand and pulled me to the road.

    Lessons learned: There are still guardian angels and they walk among us in disguise and I am one more day closer to eternity

I was grateful for both helpers being there. In both cases, I could have handled it alone, but, truth be told, they made my life a little better. Yes, as Steve Martin said, "A day without sunshine is, like, you know,.... night."

No comments:

Post a Comment