counter

Tuesday 27 August 2019

I yam what I yam, but I yam getting better - a note about thinking positively

I have a memory of a childish joke about a crippled man, supported by his crutches, before a faith healer asking for the healer's help.

The healer places his hand on the forehead of the man before him

"Do you have faith and in my power and that of the creator," the healer crones.

"Yes preacher, I have faith in your healing power and that of my creator.""

"Well then, throw away those crutches and walk," the holy man bellows.

A silence falls over the congregation as one crutch is discarded; then, amidst a chorus of Hallelujahs rising from the believers, the man throws away his other crutch and....... falls flat on his face to the floor.

Not funny is it? I agree, but it does serve as a convenient segue into the power of positive thinking.

Lots of people with Parkinson's tell us it's helpful to look for the positives and focus on what you can do, rather than what you can't.

Yeh, not so easy is it? Being positive 24 hours a day is unreasonable and annoying. You would end up like the Cheshire cat; all smile but no substance. The brain controls your well-being both physically and mentally. I think if your brain is looking for good things to happen, your body will react accordingly,

I know, I know, it feels as if you are being fed a crock of unattainable pablum.

You are not! Studies of the effect positive thinking has on diseases indicate it can:

  1. increase lifespan
  2. lower the effects of depression,
  3. increase self-confidence and,
  4. if we are lucky, help slow the progress of PD.

Good things are coming. I know it! I believe it!I can't cite sources, but I can feel it and anyway, I read allot, so trust me and maybe you might discard your metaphorical crutches and walk boldly into the future.

So endeth this sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment