counter

Saturday 10 August 2019

Slip sliding away

"You should have a colonoscopy."

"What is that exactly?"

"It sounds worse than it is. We use an instrument called a colonoscope, a long, flexible, tubular instrument about 1/2-inch in diameter that transmits an image of the lining of the colon so the doctor can examine it for any abnormalities. Such as hemorrhoids, cancer.... The colonoscope is inserted through the rectum."

"Whoa! hold on there. Up my bum!"

"Yes, but you are given drugs to relax you. It doesn't hurt. You will just feel the pressure."

Hmmm, drugs. Sounds good and so I agreed.

He was right. The procedure itself was all but painless; but, the preparation! The preparation is cruel. For two full days you cannot eat.....well, you can eat jello. Hardly as an interesting substitute for a big mac. I can handle 2 days of starvation. What disturbed my well being was having to drink a concoction every 15 minutes for an hour each day. The result is your rectum allows your poop to pass like Niagara Falls.

God! It is awful.

Would I go through it again? Probably. Reluctantly. As I told my doctor, I would rather have my nose hairs trimmed by a weed wacker

I was just kidding.

One beneficial thing came as a result.

None of that good old PD constipation for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment