counter

Wednesday 22 December 2021

Slip sliding away

 I used to enjoy winter.  For those in warmer climes, I am here to tell you there is no better winter activity than running 3 miles in a blizzard.  Of course, you would want to guage the amount of snow on the ground, too deep, you risk injury; so you put up with 6" to 10" and to avoid getting lost, you stay within the city lights and on familiar roads.  Your workout will double in intensity over half your usual route.

That was then, this is now.

I took a taxi to my dentist's office and, when finished, I realized I didn't have my wallet (with credit card) or my cell phone.  No taxi home!  Not wishing to disrupt a busy office, I decided to walk to my son's home about 3/4 of a mile away where, I hoped, I would find my daughter-in-law in her home office.  Shouldn't be a problem.  His house was on my former 3 mile blizzard run.  Piece of cake.  The depth of the snow was minimal and in some cases, the homeowner had cleared the sidewalk down to pavement.  

"Yes," I thought, the walk will do me good.

A nagging doubt crossed my mind.  "You idiot!   You weren't affected by PD during the blizzard years."

I had gone about 150 yards when my legs got stiff.

"Idiot!!!" I began to walk like Frankenstein.

"Idiot!!!!" I refused the negative aura punishing my brain and I pushed on.  I was about a half block from my sanctum sanctorum when a woman came toward me.  I must have looked like Frankenstein or  rather, a crazed version of the monster.  I could sense her fear.

She crossed the street to where a man was standing.  I could make out a few words.  They were talking about me, their eyes keeping track of me.

"He's.....(mumble)...,"  I knew they were talking about me.

I stopped to look around to figure out how far I had to go....when it happened.  I slipped.

I fell.

"He has fallen!" the woman cried out and she and the man rushed over to help me.

"Are you hurt?" the man asked as he and the woman helped me up.

I thanked both of them for their assistance and promised I was not hurt.  I explained I had but a few houses to go and after much reassurance they decided I was OK to walk.  

I stumbled to my son's home and thankfully my daughter-on-law was there.  I sat down.  She brought me water.  We chatted and she drove me home.

Family!  Does it get any better?

After 3/4 of a mile full of negative thoughts, my family thoughts brought me the positively of family.

And that is where I dwell today.

Family!  Can it get any better?   

Mind you, my walking in winter days are over.  Much to my family's relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment