counter

Saturday 26 January 2013

As I walk along, I wonder what went wrong...

When I walk, as I do just about every morning, I become detached, a complete Zen experience. Oh, I am still in reality and can watch for cars, etc but the air around me belongs to a different world, one composed of distant thoughts. Mostly those thoughts are positive and reassuring but every once and a while, some alien thought creeps into my head to remind me I have PD. At the present time, PD is just an unwelcome and intrusive invader that I can keep under control with an optimistic outlook and drugs. Then, suddenlly, a thought spasm cripples me and I know I will have problems in the future and PD will become more than just a nuisance. Very rude of it isn't it?

Today, I had those negative thoughts because I spent the whole two miles of my walk resisting the urge to chase my centre of gravity as it tried to jump out in front of me, with the intention of dragging me into a fall. I tried marching, which had helped a few days ago; but this time, it was ineffective. I tried turning in a circle and making my first step a big one. This bought a few blocks of relief before I had to do it again. But, I went the entire distance and did not fall.

It is at times like this that I read entries on the Parkinson's UK Forum where you can discover stories of PWP living good lives 7,10 or more years after diagnosis and my optimism returns

I watched an interview with Michael J. Fox and he seemed totally normal, with the exception of the PD speech pattern and mild dyskinesia. He remarked that although he was moving around a lot today; 5 years before, he would not have been able to sit in a chair and be interviewed because his dyskinesia wouldn't have permitted it. This made me feel better as the drugs are being improved to help control the symptoms. I look forward to his new series, essentially about himself with parkinson's.

By the end of my walk, I realized I was part of a community with Michael J. Fox leading us onward and upward. As some Zen master might have said, "Behold I stand on the bridge and look into the water, but the water floweth not, but the bridge doth flow."

Have I attained enlightenment?

No comments:

Post a Comment