counter

Thursday 17 January 2013

In the middle of a basketball game when the ref yells out "Strike Three" (revisited)

I hate flying even though I tell myself that there are over 100,000 take-offs and landings every day and it is very rare that a plane crashes. I ask myself, what makes you so special that you will beat the odds and be in that one plane that crashes? Well, what were the odds I would get PD? Like the chances of being in an airplane crash, what made me so special that I should become a PWP?

An article I read estimated that after after 60, you have about 3 chances out of 100 of being visited by this condition. Not high odds of becoming a victim but the odds are not on your side if:

  1. You are over 60
  2. Male
  3. Have a family history of PD
  4. Were exposed to environmental toxins
  5. Caucasian

There's the rub; I am over 60, male and caucasian. 3 out of the 5 risk factors. Maybe 4 - toxins (running through clouds of DDT when the army was spraying for mosquitoes and I was a kid living in an army camp) No wonder I hooked up with PD!

But, I am a robust, healthy male who looks after himself both physically and mentally. I was going through life happily anticipating the future when kaboom, PD decided to break into my dream and make a nuisance of itself now and in the future.

Totally unexpected.

Life can be like that. Things can be going smoothingly when the gods decide to have a little laugh and make you the butt of their joke. But, PD is not the worst thing that can knock you down. In fact, I consider myself lucky. Firstly, it is the best degenerative brain disease that can befell you, because the symptoms are controllable and secondly, you are not dead. That would be the nastiest interloper for a relatively young person. You expect, and may even welcome, death after your mid-eighties but not in your fifties and sixties. I mean, what are the odds?

An acquaintance of mine, younger than me, got out of bed, turned on the light and dropped dead. Here was a man who appeared to be in good health, a kind, caring artist and poet, who led a good, clean life and suddenly, he is not here anymore. What were his odds? Why did the ref call strike three in the middle of his basketball game? Nobody knows. Everybody cares. Good bye and have a good journey David.

I would rather have PD than meet the grim reaper, but..... you never know.

That famous philosopher, Eminem, once said

The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed.

Got that right rapperman.

No comments:

Post a Comment