counter

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Rocks me like the Rock of Ages.....

Every PWP should be lucky enough to have an understanding caregiver. Mine is my wife of almost 40 years. She doesn't need to give me care at the moment; although, she has started to keep a diary of my symptoms, doctor visits and exercise regime. She also gives me tips on how to remember my pills, which I intend to start taking tomorrow, next week at the latest. She is a physiotherapist and that helps. She is great and has been throughout our marriage. I have never considered divorce, murder sometimes, but never divorce. I am a lucky man.

I wish I had taken her advice yesterday - about taking my pills. I am supposed to take them 4x per day. Yesterday, I remembered to take them only 2x. I paid for it later. When I was about to fall asleep, a cramp inserted itself into my left leg but, I handled that quite easily by standing for a couple of minutes following which, I quickly fell asleep. Two hours later my right calf went ridged - that woke me up and I didn't realize what was happening until my toes started to curl under and my foot tried inching its way upward and inward. My God! I HADN'T TAKEN MY PILLS! I was in agony and had to stand for about 7 minutes until the cruel cramp began to release me. I immediately took one amantadine and a double dose of mirapex and lay back down. The pain subsided, but the shadow of the pain remains even now, after 24 hours.

Lesson learned? You would think so, wouldn't you? But, before starting this entry, I was immersed in my work and forgot to take my third dose today - only a couple of hours late.

I have a astonishing ability to forget, which has long served me well, allowing me to experience oblivion when it suits me. But now is not that time. I will remember my drugs because I will take my caregiver's advice tomorrow.....well, hopefully. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree with you! We are so lucky!
    I wrote a poem about on my blog ...

    http://filsdep.blogspot.nl/2013/01/parkinson-cant-steal-my-heart.html

    Best, LiLi

    ReplyDelete